[X-Unix] Altering system parameters (e.g. IP addresses) on Mac OS X server

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Mar 9 17:39:41 PDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 6:54 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

> On 10/03/2008, at 7:50 AM, Ken wrote:
>> I have a need to change some IP address range info on a Mac server
>> platform
>> (running OS X server), but don't have a physical console, and can't
>> remote
>> desktop into it.  I can only (at present) open a command line (ssh)
>> shell to it.
>
> Firstly, you would do better to post a question like this on the
> MacOS Server list.

Apparently not, his question was answered.  What better could he do?

> Secondly as I am sure you would be aware changing the IP address on
> something like MacOS X Server is non-trivial.  Changing the IP
> requires certificates to be recreated and settings changed in a
> large number of places.

If you do it correctly, it is trivial.  If you properly set up your
certificates, SSL I'm assuming, they're built around host names rather
than IP addresses.

> Apple have provided a script for this specific purpose which you
> should use.  I can attest that it works well.

It's not a script, it's a binary command.

> Also look at a server documentation http://www.apple.com/server/documentation
> .  There is a whole manual on the CLI which of course accessible
> through ssh.  You can do anything with a command which you can do in
> the GUI.  There are also a heap of things you can do with a command
> that you cannot do in the GUI - like change the IP address.  Of
> course some things are easier to do in the GUI.

Your first piece of valuable information.  Congrats.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks