[X-Unix] old port for ssh

ecrist at secure-computing.net ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu May 8 06:22:24 PDT 2008

<BCC10388-16FA-48B6-930B-1B6863E7035B at gmail.com> <D4FA32C0-2636-4630-814D-B44C85FBF284 at lvnv.com>

On Wed, 7 May 2008 19:40:01 -0700, M K <mike at lvnv.com> wrote:

> On May 6, 2008, at 10:47 PM, Robar Philip wrote:
>

>> On May 6, 2008, at 9:33 PM, M K wrote:
>>
>>> I need an older port of OpenSSH than what comes with Leopard.
>>> I have OpenSSH_5.0p1, I need a version of OpenSSH less than 4.5
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> How do I remove the current port of OpenSSH?
>>> (I read somewhere that I just need to delete the current file, but
>>> that doesn't seem right)
>>
>> You shouldn't. Replacing the vendor shipped version of something
>> with your own is almost always a bad idea. Install the older version
>> somewhere like /usr/local/bin or /opt/local/bin. Then write a little
>> script called something like "oldssh" which runs the older version
>> or just type the full path to the older version.
>>
>>> Where can I find a really old port so I don't have to compile it
>>> myself and risk screwing something up?
>>
>> I did a quick Google search but didn't find an obvious pointer.
>>
>> Phil
>
> I can't seem to find an old port either...I've looked all around...
>
> I think I might just compile it...

That's probably your best bet.  With the proper developer tools, this
should be relatively trivial.  Also, if you have an old version of Mac OS X
around, you could probably simply copy the binary to your system, to an
alternate location such as /usr/local/bin, or /opt/bin/, so as not to
interfere with the system installed version of OpenSSH.  If you run into
library problems, you can probably symlink the newer libs to a name
matching what the old binary is looking for.  It's kind of a hack, but
works in a pinch.

Let me know if you need any help.

Eric Crist