[X-Unix] old port for ssh

M K mike at lvnv.com
Thu May 8 10:21:21 PDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 8 May 2008, at 03:38, M K wrote:
>>> The ssh command has the option to specify what version is used when
>>> connecting to a remote host.  I believe it's ssh -p <port> -
>>> <version>
>>> username at host, replace <version> with 1 or 2.  I think if you put
>>> a 1
>>> there, things will work just fine.
>>

>> No luck... I tried it just to be sure.
>> it has to be SSH v2
>>
>> this is the error I get by the way...
>> channel 0: open failed: resource shortage: Channel open failed
>>
>> and like I said, it only happens in openSSH 4.6 and later...
>>
>> I'm sure it's bug in their SSH Daemon...so I need to get an old
>> port of OpenSSH
>
> It might just be that the client on your machine is trying to
> enforce security standards which weren't available when the older
> server was written. It may not be the version you have to change,
> but something else - look, for example, at the variety of -o options
> in `man ssh`.
>
> You might find that `ssh -v hostname` (or `ssh -v -v hostname` or
> `ssh -v -v -v hostname`) gives more information about the problem
> and enables you to find a workaround (using the current client).
>
> Stroller.

thanks, those are good ideas.

I've already sent them the ssh -vvv <ip>  output so they could see
where everything was getting gummed up...
I haven't heard back from them...

but in the meantime, I have to shell into another box then shell into
the switch...it's just a pain...

I guess I could look at it like it's inherently more secure ...  <???>