[X-Unix] [ANN] unmac

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Wed Jan 7 13:33:43 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>>>          if [[ `$FILE -b "$1"` = "empty" && ${BASSNAME:0:4} = "Icon" ]]
>>
>> What are those? Do you have any example?
>
> It was a long time ago I wrote this - it looks to me like they're icon files
> distributed by iconfactory.com, and perhaps I mistook them for a general
> case?
>
> I have, for instance:

> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/._Icon
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/Icon
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/CD
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/Go
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/DVD
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/USB
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/Smart Media
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/._Removable HD
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/._CD
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/._Go
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/CD-R
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/Burn
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/Find
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/._Movies Folder
> SomeFolder/Icons/Clipper System/The Icons/._Icon
>

> They in fact have a weird b0rk character on the end of the filename, which
> doesn't show up in the above output from locate:
>
> ~ $ file /home/ftp/space/IMPORTANT\ -\ Silva\`s\
> Backup/Desktop/Icons/Clipper\ System/Icon^M
> : emptytp/space/IMPORTANT - Silva`s Backup/Desktop/Icons/Clipper System/Icon
> ~ $ ls /home/ftp/space/IMPORTANT\ -\ Silva\`s\ Backup/Desktop/Icons/Clipper\
> System/Icon^M
> /home/ftp/space/IMPORTANT - Silva`s Backup/Desktop/Icons/Clipper
> System/Icon?
> ~ $
>
> This reminds me how much I fucking hate resource forks.

Interesting. I googled a bit motivated by your message and got
something similar but too much informative:

   http://ask.metafilter.com/21601/How-to-copy-from-HFS-to-FAT32

I couldn't reproduce them though. I tried changing the icon of a
concrete file, and copying it to a memory stick, but it didn't work.

What a pity I'd like to understand them for unmac.