[X-Unix] Setting disk quotas

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Wed Jan 7 18:36:08 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 5:38 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 1/5/09,  Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:
> => On Jan 5, 2009, at 3:24 PM, John Baltutis wrote:
>>
>>> Mind posting the solution, including configuring the grace period,
>>> for the rest of us?
>>
>> I've done so, I may have not sent the last message to the entire
>> list.  I've made a wiki entry on my site, which you can view at the
>> address below.
>>
>> http://www.secure-computing.net/wiki/index.php/HFS%2B_Disk_Quotas
>
> That I have. I was asking Charles Howse for his solution.

OK, I mainly used the link above, Google, and the man pages.
Once the quota is reached, the user can't change the desktop, download
anything, or save any files until, either the quota is relaxed or
turned off, or they delete enough files.

The grace period is a snap, too.  I went ahead and set it to 7 days to
be certain, even though 7 days is supposed to be the default.

I tested by checking the space used by the user, then setting the soft
limit just a couple of k  above that...then tried to download a
file...nix, nada, no go, can't write file.

Piece of cake!  :-)