[X-Unix] ZIP format Mac OSX additions specification?

Albert Lunde atlunde at panix.com
Thu Jan 8 08:39:51 PST 2009

Looking at a different, but related problem, I'm looking for
a specification for what the Mac OSX extensions to the
ZIP format _are_ and how to write them.

I have a copy of

http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT

which speaks briefly of some older MacOS-related entensions, but doesn't
seem to cover the whole story. I assume AppleDouble is involved.

I'm studying the possibility of writing ZIP files with
Mac extenstions under Mac OSX using the Java ZIP code from Apache ant
(which extends java.util.zip). Why this code?: because it is open-source
and provides a framework which does much of the work
while still providing some points for extension/modification.

I know about the class com.apple.eio.FileManager, but that really
only seems to help with the file "Type" and "Creator" codes.

I assume I can copy the resource fork as a binary stream with the
named fork notation.

    Albert Lunde  albert-lunde at northwestern.edu
                  atlunde at panix.com  (new address for personal mail)
                  albert-lunde at nwu.edu (old address)