[X-Unix] [ANN] unmac

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Jan 8 05:00:07 PST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 6:29 AM, Eugene wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:44:28AM CST, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net
> > wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 7, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Stroller wrote:
>>>
>>> Although I would love someone else to address this problem, I too
>>> would be a little reluctant to use a solution that depended upon
>>> Ruby,
>>> just because I don't know anything about the language. I just really
>>> like Bash for this sort of thing, just because it's everywhere.
>>
>> Bash isn't everywhere, which is why I recommend sh.  Bash is in many
>> places, and available almost everywhere, so it's becoming a popular
>> scripting tool.
>
> I thought bash was everywhere on OS X --- although I don't have
> pre-Leopard installs to verify my comment.  And I don't know if
> this bash shell script was meant to be run on OS X systems, or
> whether it was intended to be executed by non-OSX systems (e.g.
> Linux, FreeBSD) with read/write access to OS X volumes.
>
> Portability is a b*tch sometimes.  :)

I guess I'm assuming this utility is to be run on non OS X systems,
since those files are useful on Macs.  I may have a flash drive, for
example, I want to clean up on a Windows box, or one of my FreeBSD
servers.  Being able to clean said flash drive up from a Mac OS X
system would be an added, perhaps expected, benefit.
---
Eric Crist