[X-Unix] [ANN] unmac

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 8 06:44:10 PST 2009

On 8 Jan 2009, at 13:39, Eric F Crist wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Stroller wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I have unconsciously learned this behaviour in order to
>> reduce the housekeeping needed to keep my portable drives clean. ;)
>
> If memory serves me, Windows doesn't display files which start with
> a period unless 'show all files' is enabled.  I'll test that a
> little later.

No need to test - it behaves as you describe.

However on Windows systems I tend may tend to have the 'show all
files' option enabled, and I'd imagine this might be common amongst
power-users. On *nix systems one tends to have loads of .hidden files
in one's home directory, so its undesirable to show all this "clutter"
in a GUI file-manager; I think that usually on Windows - although it's
been a while since I used it seriously for myself - there are no
important hidden files normally stored in "My Documents" or the desktop.

Stroller.