[X-Unix] Anybody still there?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Mar 26 13:12:33 PDT 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Steve Morris wrote:

> Well Juan on your word I installed macports from the dbg pkg file. I
> don't find tar, find or top in that distribution. To rectify this
> I'm wandering through the wiki pages and documentation a little
> lost. There seems to be lots of documentation but I don't seem to
> find an introduction or getting started doc that explains what is in
> macport by default and what if any extensions I might be missing.
>
> Any suggestions?

Steve,

As long as your updated your PATH environment variable, you should
have /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin in your PATH.  You can check
by typing 'echo $PATH' on a command line.  You should see /opt/local/
bin and /opt/local/sbin listed.  That hurdle leapt, you can install
coreutils:

# sudo port install coreutils

This will install all the coreutils you seek in /opt hierarchy.  In
order to use them, you should alias them in your .profile or .cshrc,
depending on your shell, to the command names you want.

In my .cshrc, I have:
alias ls /opt/local/bin/ls
alias find /opt/local/bin/find
..etc

It helps tremendously if you're familiar with the FreeBSD ports tree,
after which MacPorts has been modeled. You can search the installable
tree with 'port search <pattern>'.

HTH

---
Eric Crist