[X-Unix] How to install perl module with dependencies

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Sat Mar 28 08:08:28 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM, B. Kuestner <kuestner at web.de> wrote:

> what is the easiest way to install a perl module with its dependencies, who
> in turn might have other dependencies.
>
> Specifically I am looking at this Outlook-message reader/converter:
> <http://www.matijs.net/software/msgconv/>
>
> I mean, do I really have to follow
> - all these steps <http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html>
> - for all the dependencies?
>
> Also I would like to not spread this software all over the place.
> Any chance to keep everything in one directory?
>
> I am totally new to CPAN, but was hoping there was some "do all the magic in
> one go" command, that downloads all the listed dependencies and writes the
> finished executable to one target folder.

Yeah, in a modern Perl that's provided by the cpan(1) command (older
versions of Perl traditionally used a one-liner that used the standard
CPAN module).

Nevertheless in that page there's a script, and documented
dependencies, and it is not packaged as a distribution avaliable from
CPAN, so you need to install all modules listed in the dependencies
section like this:

   sudo cpan Email::Outlook::Message
   sudo cpan Email::LocalDelivery

Some of them are already in your machine but running cpan(1) on them
won't hurt. First time you run cpan(1) you'll get some questions.
Defaults are fine, and as for mirrors choose whatever it's close to
you.