[X-Unix] compiling "universal" commandline utilities?

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Fri May 1 08:25:26 PDT 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 11:12 AM, TjL wrote:

> I'm using my Powerbook again, which means that I'm realizing that a
> lot of my utilities that I've compiled were compiled on my iMac.
>
> I'd like to compile them as both PowerPC and Intel but I'm not sure
> how to do that.
>
> Someone on the Zsh list suggested this:
>
> make CFLAGS='-arch i386 -arch ppc -arch ppc64' LDFLAGS='${CFLAGS}'

Who ever came up with  'LDFLAGS='${CFLAGS}' has a fundamental
misunderstanding of what these flags are for.

> Google was no help.

A quick search on "os x universal binary" got me this:

Universal Binary Programming Guidelines, Second Edition: Introduction
Feb 4, 2009 ... Universal Binary Programming Guidelines will assist
experienced developers to build and modify their Mac OS X applications
to run as ...

http://tinyurl.com/cxjfm3 (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary_intro/universal_binary_intro.html
)

Phil