[X-Unix] What's the command?

Steve Morris barbershopsteve at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 07:13:55 PDT 2010

If you like apropos you should know about whatis. whatis is a similar
command except it only matches whole words. For example if you want to
find items concerning the C language use "whatis C." You don't want to
use "apropos c" because it returns every entry that has the letter c
in it, i.e. most of them, which is not very useful.

Both are part of the "man" utility set. They search the title and
synopsis sections of man pages. From the man man page:

   man -f     Equivalent to whatis.
   man -k    Equivalent to apropos.