[X-Unix] Hardware RAID Setup

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu May 13 15:08:17 PDT 2010

On 13 May 2010, at 14:54, Martin McCormick wrote:

> Alexandre Gauthier writes:
>> I am still curious as to if these manipulations create a software
>> raid
>> array through OS X, or if that somehow hooks in the hardware and
>> does it
>> there...
>
> 	It is done in hardware. Now you see 1 single drive
> instead of 2 drives. The RAID card has [features]

Yes, but how do you know it's using those features?

I'm unfamiliar with Mac RAID, but how do you know the RAID controller
isn't offering the drives as single units, and that you're not using
OS X's software RAID drivers to create the array?

On a BIOS-based PC this is fairly obvious. When one boots, after the
normal BIOS messages, there is another one (white writing on the black
background) inviting one to enter a RAID management utility. In the
BIOS-like RAID management utility one can see the individual disks and
create an array from them. When booted to Linux or Windows only a
single drive is seen by the operating system, and if one wishes to add
more drives in a new array (or reconfigure the array on which the host
o/s resides) one must install and use the manufacturer's utility (e.g.
tw_cli for a 3ware card) in order to do so.

Under Linux one uses a different command `mdadm` to create software
RAID arrays. That's the Linux software RAID equivalent to 3ware's
Linux `tw_cli` [1] or LSI's Linux `megaraid` [2], the latter of which
operate only on hardware RAID cards. If you were using a hardware RAID
card under Linux and you created an array using `mdadm` [3] then the o/
s would create a *software* RAID array out of whatever drives or
arrays the hardware RAID card was showing it.

I am somewhat confused because you *seem* to be using the same command
to configure your hardware array as one would use to create a software
RAID array out of drives connected to a dumb SATA controller. This is
*probably* Mac OS X being terribly clever and sweet and elegant and
using the same front-end interface - Disk Utility &/or raidutil - to
manage both kinds of driver (for both hardware and software RAID), but
with my background I find it confusing. I would find this the
antithesis of reassuring until I had experimented with it thoroughly
to assure myself that hardware RAID was indeed being used, and that I
hadn't accidentally configured software RAID on my hardware RAID card.

I hope my explanation makes sense, and I'm sorry if it's unhelpful of
me to raise my confusion.

I could probably clear up my confusion some with some comprehensive
Googling on the subject of Apple's hardware RAID cards, but since
we're having this conversation, I might as well throw my confusion on
the table for discussion.

As an exercise, if you had the time, it might be interesting for you
to physically remove the hardware RAID card, connect the drives
directly to the Mac's built-in regular SATA controller, and to
configure a software RAID array. How does it behave differently?

Stroller.

[1] http://www.cyberciti.biz/files/tw_cli.8.html
[2] http://www.manpagez.com/man/8/megaraid/
[3] http://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm