Start-up problem 10.3

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 14:57:07 PDT 2004

On 08/03/04, Andy Hannen <andy.hannen at virgin.net> wrote:

> A friend tried to add a new user account in his newly, panther, upgraded
> iBook. I don't know exactly what he did but now, when restarted or cold
> booted, the start-up progress bar stays at "Login Window Starting" for ever!
> (At least overnight).
> Starting up in "safe" mode leaves you hanging in the same place.
> Can anyone suggest anything? Are there any "Single User" commands that would
> bypass the login window? Doing "fsck" says everything's ok

The best thing to do is see if the machine will startup with the install
CDs that came with the machine. If so, then do an Archive & Install, saving
network settings. If the machine restarts, then fine. If not, then he
should hook it up to another Mac via target disk mode, transfer whatever he
wants to save, and then do a clean install.