Not sure if this is off topic but ....

Stephen Lanza slanza at swcomplement.com
Fri Aug 6 09:01:56 PDT 2004

On 08/06/04 9:22 AM, "Mac OS X for Users" <x4u at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
wrote:

> Subject: Not sure if this is off topic but ....
> From: Stephen Lanza <slanza at swcomplement.com>
>
> I have a WallStreet Powerbook running Mac OS X 10.2.8. This machine has one
> annoying characteristic that manifests itself as follows:
>
> When I turn the machine on, the screen stays dim and when the system is
> finally up, I can get the screen to full brightness by clicking once on the
> increase brightness button.

For those who have this problem and to answer my own question, I found the
solution on the comp.sys.mac.portables usenet group.

The poster wrote that he had to boot into OS 9 and then back into OS X to
get it to fix itself.

I tried it and it worked. I really didn't want OS 9 on the machine but I
installed a copy from one of my other machines, booted into it and rebooted
back into OS X and, presto, the screen didn't dim on start up and comes out
of sleep properly now.

I hope this helps someone else as this has been a big pain in the butt for a
long time for me.

Thanks for the responses.

Stephen Lanza
Software Complement