[X4U] Mac OCR

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Aug 8 19:08:55 PDT 2004

Daniel Beck said:

>>> I didn't see anything on the page about how they know you
>>> have other OCR software.
>>
>> They don't.  As far as I can tell, they never even ask.
>
>That's amazing as it's $130 vs $499 for the same product.

Not too many years ago a copy of the classic/Lite version of OmniPage
came with many scanners, along with an offer to upgrade to the full
version for only $50.

I don't think that ScanSoft really expects many folks to be stupid enough
to pay full price for the non-upgrade version.  I think that they are
hoping that folks will see the difference in price between the full
version and the upgrade version and say "Wow!  That's cheap!", and then
jump to purchase the upgrade version.

However, if you think about it for a second, $130 isn't inexpensive for a
piece of software of just about any discription.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html