[X4U] panther 10.3.5

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 10 02:49:58 PDT 2004

On 8/10/04 11:44 AM, "Eugene Lee" <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:

> While the file sizes are going to throw lots of Mac support groups into
> a tissy fit because everyone is going to report different numbers, the
> idea is a good one.  I especially liked this bit from the above article:
>
> Why are some computers not offered a smaller update?
>
> Not every computer that has Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later can
> benefit from smaller Software Updates. Why? Sometimes,
> modifications made to Mac OS X system files, including ones
> made by third-party products, may require the installation
> of a full sized version of a Mac OS X software update.
> Again, you don't have to worry about figuring out which
> kind of update is best for you, just let Software Update
> preferences do the work.

IMHO, this is unfortunate. We have returned to the pre-OS X days where
systems were machine-dependant. I've got a few Macs that I use at home,
including those belonging to my wife and son, and find it easiest to clone
my main Mac to theirs when doing major updates. That way they get not only
system updates, but also the latest versions of any apps that I've updated.

The problem is that now this will no longer be possible. While I can deal
with it, it is an additional headache for administrators of larger groups of
Macs.

Kirk

        My latest book: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
                  http://www.mcelhearn.com/htde.html
 . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
 . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .