[X4U] panther 10.3.5

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Aug 10 02:44:47 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:41:05AM -0700, James S Jones wrote:
:
: On Aug 10, 2004, at 1:05 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:
:
: >I doubt it.  I think it's a simple case based on what Judi reported.
: >She is doing a 10.3.3-to-10.3.5 upgrade.  The smaller updater works
: >only for 10.3.4-to-10.3.5, while the larger combo updater handles all
: >previous versions of Panther.
:
: It seems like there are customizations beyond that. On my G4-upgraded
: B&W, Software Update offers a 22.9 MB file. On my PowerBook, it offered
: a 27 MB file. And, the web download (Standalone Installer) is 43 MB.
: The originator of this thread, Spoonbender, reported using Software
: Update and that the file offered was the full 43 MB. So, there must be
: some differentiation in the update based on what Software Update finds
: on the local machine. I think the considerable pause before reporting
: what updates are available is additional evidence in support of this
: theory. Moreover, Apple say as much, here:

Just a footnote.  I think the 10.3.4-to-10.3.5 updater is 43 MB.
The 10.3.x-to-10.3.5 combo updater is over 82 MB.

: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25799>

While the file sizes are going to throw lots of Mac support groups into
a tissy fit because everyone is going to report different numbers, the
idea is a good one.  I especially liked this bit from the above article:

	Why are some computers not offered a smaller update?

	Not every computer that has Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later can
	benefit from smaller Software Updates. Why? Sometimes,
	modifications made to Mac OS X system files, including ones
	made by third-party products, may require the installation
	of a full sized version of a Mac OS X software update.
	Again, you don't have to worry about figuring out which
	kind of update is best for you, just let Software Update
	preferences do the work.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/