[X4U] Single user not an Admin user: A fix anyone?

Paul Baily mglists at paulbaily.com
Tue Aug 10 22:27:04 PDT 2004

On 11/08/2004, at 2:46 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> The single and only user is not an Admin user but is instead a
> Standard user. As such, no updates can be done. Root is not enabled as
> far as I can tell. Is there any command within Terminal or within
> NetInfo Manager that might enable me to modify this single user to
> Admin status?

You might be able to do it by booting into single user mode and trying
arcane commands, but I'd suggest a quick & easy way might be, er,
easier. How about:

1. Boot from install CD, activate root a/c. (Installer menu)
2. Boot normally, log in as root
3. Accounts preference panel, assign "User can administer this
computer" to the account in question,
4. Reboot again (IME sometimes adding admin rights to an account
doesn't take effect until you do)
5. (optional, recommended in most cases) Disable root a/c.

HTH, and cheers,

Paul.