[X4U] Single user not an Admin user: A fix anyone?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Aug 11 07:57:48 PDT 2004

>On 11/08/2004, at 2:46 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>>The single and only user is not an Admin user but is instead a Standard user. As such, no updates can be done. Root is not enabled as far as I can tell. Is there any command within Terminal or within NetInfo Manager that might enable me to modify this single user to Admin status?
>
>You might be able to do it by booting into single user mode and trying arcane commands, but I'd suggest a quick & easy way might be, er, easier. How about:
>
>1. Boot from install CD, activate root a/c. (Installer menu)

It is tough when you get stuck at Step 1

I do not see the ability to enable or activate root via a 10.3.2 OS install disc. My options are:

Change Startup Disk
Reset Password
Open Disk Utility

Interesting that Reset Password allows the resetting of 'roots' password. I am not sure whether 'root' is enabled after resetting its password, but the continuing problem is that at Login, it still only shows the single Standard account user's name so I still can't log in as root if I want. Attempting to make any changes via Accounts is fruitless as the only login ability is to this Standard user.