Setting up new G5 (transfer everything from G4)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 09:19:11 PDT 2004

On 08/10/04, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:

> It's nice of Apple to tell us they've made it simple to install all our
> software on new computers but not make the utility that transfers the data
> available except with the brand new G5s :-(
>
> I have a "first generation" dual G5 that I want to set up with the software
> and documents that currently reside on my dual G4. Both of the computers are
> Software Update "up to date." I'd like to transfer programs and data and the
> necessary support files. I know that there are cookbook approaches to this,
> but I've searched through MacCentral/Macworld, Macintouch, and my archives
> of the mac mailing lists to which I subscribe and cannot find the recipe.
>
> Can anyone point me to a URL, book, pdf, or other source for the steps?

Read this before doing anything:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25784 >. Then get Carbon
Copy Cloner, hook up the G5 to the G4 via FireWire target disk mode, erase
the G5, clone the G4 to the G5, unhook the G5, boot it with the G5 install
CD, install the OS selecting Archive & Install, saving network settings,
run Software Update to bring you up to the latest, and reboot.

CCC is available at <http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html>. Read the
Help files before doing anything.