[X4U] iTunes library on external drive

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Wed Aug 11 12:23:55 PDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 02:24, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> If that doesn't work, try making an alias of the iTunes folder on the
> external drive and placing it in your Music folder.

And I didn't see if anyone had mentioned this, but how about deleting
(or simply moving to the Desktop) the iTunes preference files in
~/Library/Preference/, then re-setup iTunes pointing to the external
hard drive?  You may have to "add" all of your music back into the
Library file after this, but it should work.

Or, first, you may want take a look at your "iTunes Music Library.xml"
file with Property List Editor or Text Edit.  You'll see the path to
your Music folder listed.  Is it showing the correct path to the
external drive?  If not, then you may want to do the preference
cleansing.

Good luck!

gretchen