[X4U] Single user not an Admin user: A fix anyone?

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Wed Aug 11 16:53:30 PDT 2004

Hi Robert,

If you boot off the Install CD and choose Reset Password, you'll get the
option of setting the root user password. I'm not 100% sure if you'll have
problems if the root password was not previously set but I'm guessing you
should be OK.

Once root has been set then you can do as the others have described....
boot in root, change your user to Admin.

Cheers,

Cojcolds

Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net>

>On 11/08/2004, at 2:46 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>>The single and only user is not an Admin user but is instead a Standard
user. As such, no updates can be done. Root is not enabled as far as I can
tell. Is there any command within Terminal or within NetInfo Manager that
might enable me to modify this single user to Admin status?

>You might be able to do it by booting into single user mode and trying
arcane commands, but I'd suggest a quick & easy way might be, er, easier.
How about:

>1. Boot from install CD, activate root a/c. (Installer menu)

It is tough when you get stuck at Step 1

I do not see the ability to enable or activate root via a 10.3.2 OS
install disc. My options are:

Change Startup Disk
Reset Password
Open Disk Utility

Interesting that Reset Password allows the resetting of 'roots' password.
I am not sure whether 'root' is enabled after resetting its password, but
the continuing problem is that at Login, it still only shows the single
Standard account user's name so I still can't log in as root if I want.
Attempting to make any changes via Accounts is fruitless as the only login
ability is to this Standard user.