[X4U] problems setting up Windows Sharing

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Fri Dec 3 03:45:14 PST 2004

I can't get Windows Sharing working properly (first time I try).

The checkbox for "Windows Sharing" in Sharing is checked, and there's a
Public folder in the Home of user foo. There's a label when you select
Windows Sharing that says that the computer will be accessible to
Windows users as \\computer.name\foo. The firewall is off in all the
services.

Nevertheless, when we try that address from the XP of a coworker
(computers connected through the company's LAN) an authentication
dialog shows up and I can't even log in with the very user foo. Is the
expected usage not to have an authentication dialog at all?

Searching the web I founded screenshots of Jaguar with a checkbox
"Allow this user to log in from Windows" in the user profile panel, but
I can't find it in Panther.

Anyone got it working? Any hint?

-- fxn