[X4U] problems setting up Windows Sharing

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Fri Dec 3 06:54:33 PST 2004

You're likely to have more success accessing the PC from the Mac than the
other way around,  I think "Windows Sharing" just means being able to access
a Windows volume from the Mac. I work in a mixed PC/Mac environment and I've
not seen it work the other way around, but having said that I'll have to
give it a try. You'll need the IP number of the PC to access it from OSX
from under the GO menu in the form: smb://(insert IP address)

AFP: Apple File Protocol is what we use to access a Mac from another Mac the
address looks like: afp://(IP number) I don't think PCs understand this
protocol at all but I'll have to check to make sure. Check the Apple website
for more detail.

Is the file sharing setup properly on the PC? This needs to be correct for
the Mac to access it. Is there a server on the system? If so setting up  a
shared volume there might be the easiest way for both parties to share
files.

Richard