[X4U] problems setting up Windows Sharing

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Fri Dec 3 07:21:59 PST 2004

On Dec 3, 2004, at 3:54 PM, Richard Gilmore wrote:

> You're likely to have more success accessing the PC from the Mac than
> the
> other way around,  I think "Windows Sharing" just means being able to
> access
> a Windows volume from the Mac. I work in a mixed PC/Mac environment
> and I've
> not seen it work the other way around,

Thank you!

In principle it should be possible from Windows to Mac according to the
feature description.

I founded in

that

"If you want to use a user account that existed before you installed
Mac OS X Panther, you may need to reset the password for the account
using Accounts preferences."

And the user I tried to log in with existed before the upgrade to
Panther. A brand new user could log in without a problem, the Windows
machine just needed to go to

     \\local_dns_name_of_de_mac\foo

to see foo's shared stuff on the Mac. The only problem now is that
Explorer showed foo's Home, instead of foo's Public. That's the next
thing I need to fix.

-- fxn