[X4U] problems setting up Windows Sharing

Petri Luukkonen petri.luukkonen at srv.fi
Tue Dec 7 04:17:36 PST 2004

3.12.2004 kello 13:45, Xavier Noria kirjoitti:

  I can't get Windows Sharing working properly (first time I try).

> The checkbox for "Windows Sharing" in Sharing is checked, and there's
> a Public folder in the Home of user foo. There's a label when you
> select Windows Sharing that says that the computer will be accessible
> to Windows users as \\computer.name\foo. The firewall is off in all
> the services.
>
> Nevertheless, when we try that address from the XP of a coworker
> (computers connected through the company's LAN) an authentication
> dialog shows up and I can't even log in with the very user foo. Is the
> expected usage not to have an authentication dialog at all?
>
> Searching the web I founded screenshots of Jaguar with a checkbox
> "Allow this user to log in from Windows" in the user profile panel,
> but I can't find it in Panther.
>
> Anyone got it working? Any hint?
>
> -- fxn

Since our server is pure wintel operating system, I had to configure my
network prefs to suit the server demands. What we did was simply
feeding the server name and login password into my shared folder in our
server. From system prefs and network should be found required fields
to be filled with windowz information.
Now on those shared resources are in my dock, where pointing those they
get the authentication automatically from my keyring. Works very
fluently and seemless with our network at the headoffice. Connection is
tcp-ip cable.

Regards,
Petri Luukkonen