[X4U] Re: Colorvision Spyder

Steve Upton lists at chromix.com
Mon Dec 6 08:14:45 PST 2004

>From: Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be>
>Subject: [X4U] Colorvision Spyder
>
>I bought a Colorvision Spyder which should make it possible to adjust
>the color of a CRT or LCD screen.  I used it on my PB 867 and got a
>problem to adjust the RED color.  I asked the support people and I got
>the answer that for a 2 year old PB it will not work.  One must be able
>to adjust the RGB of the monitor via different dials for each color.
>That's 140 Euro (not Euros - it's always without "s", but nobody does)
>down the drain.

not quite true... strange their support gave you that answer.

When you calibrate a CRT display, it is best to adjust the controls on the display manually to get it close to the white point that you are trying to calibrate to. As a CRT's white point is completely adjustable, this is the best way to go, the calibration then gets fine-tuned in the graphics card and you should have a good calibration.

Now, you are on an LCD display. LCD's have their native white point (when RGB = 255,255,255) and any attempt to change the white point will result in the LCD filters darkening the screen and "muddying" your white - typically not desirable. So, when calibrating an LCD display it is typically best to choose "native white point" in the calibration software so it does not try to change your white point but DOES perform the rest of the calibration and profiling properly. Even LCD's that have RGB controls on them are basically "faking it" and setting everything to Native will work best.

So, your LCD does not have RGB controls, that's OK, choose native and all should be good. If you are trying to match the white point in a viewing booth or something then you will be best off using a CRT for that task. Either that or a bright desktop LCD like Apple's so it can deal with the darkening and still look good.

Regards,

Steve Upton

o  Steve Upton              CHROMiX        www.chromix.com
o   (hueman)                               866.CHROMiX
o    upton at chromix.com                     206.985.6837
o  ColorGear   ColorThink   ColorValet   ColorSmarts   ProfileCentral