[X4U] Re:Software Update

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 16:42:48 PST 2004

On 12/2/04 5:05 AM, Stephen Foster <foster at pop.ca.inter.net> wrote:

>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Alec McKenzie wrote:
>>
>>> I have Software Update set to check daily for new updates. Recently it
>>> has been reporting every day that iPod Updater 2004-11-15 is new or
>>> updated software, in spite of my making it Inactive each time.
>>>
>>> What more can I do to convince Software Update that I don't have an iPod and
>>> don't wish to be reminded of this every day?

>> Allan Hise <allan at hise.org>wrote:
>>
>> You could always let it download & install. It should have no affect on
>> anything but an iPod (since it is just an App in the /Applications/Utilities
>> folder).
>
> But what if you have an earlier iPod, for which you've downloaded the
> appropriate update, and don't want to keep seeing the notification for
> an update you don't need or want to just install to get rid of the
> notification? Telling Software Update to ignore it gets a warning that
> all similar updates will not be shown.

No. Telling Software Update to ignore a particular update has no bearing on
similar updates, only on newer versions of that particular piece of
software. For example, telling it to ignore iPod Updater 2004-11-15 will not
make it ignore iPod Updater 2004-12-31. But telling it to ignore Security
Update 2004-12-02 version 1.0 would (probably) make it ignore Security
Update 2004-12-02 version 1.1.

Also, I have successfully set SU to ignore the iPod Updater 2004-11-15, the
iSight 1.0.2 update, the AirPort 4.1 update, and many others. It has worked
pretty flawlessly. So, Alec, if you are unable to get your SU to ignore it,
you make need to repair permissions. Perhaps the preference/log file got set
to read-only or something.

Eddie Hargreaves