[X4U] printing from 125 miles away?

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Mon Dec 13 18:30:50 PST 2004

Assuming you have printer sharing, and, perhaps, certain other things
turned on and the iBook and teenager are authorized on your network
(and the teen knows the appropriate IP address and ports), it seems
perfectly plausible that the iBook sent the print job from the dorm.
Here's what the Sharing --> Firewall panel says about printer sharing:

"When you turn on Printer Sharing in the Services pane, you also allow
the service access through the firewall on the indicated ports. To stop
access through the firewall you must turn off this service using the
Services pane."