[X4U] iMac G4's not waking up

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Tue Dec 14 01:49:56 PST 2004

On 14 Dec 2004, at 00:40, Spoolman Nancy wrote:

> We have a lab of iMac G4/800/Combo's that are steadily getting worse
> in not waking up once they go to sleep. They are also locking up when
> the teacher has the student logout. Has anyone else come across this
> and could it be the battery? We bouth them in the spring of 2003. They
> had Jaguar and when Panther came, we upped them to Panther. It's been
> a gradual thing with the sleep issues.

I had the same experience with an iMac 350/400. It got progressively
worse and then quite recently the machine just wouldn't boot at all.
Apparently there's something of an issue with the power supply and,
browsing online, I have all the symptoms of a fried power supply. As
this is integrated with the monitor (or some such), the machine is
sitting on the floor waiting for me to butcher it. I'll try putting it
in a PC case of some sort.

OK. That's worst case. Having read your emails and knowing that you're
something of a regular, I assume you've repaired permissions, run disk
first aid (or fsck) etc. I seem to recall that this helped a little
with my iMac - although it may just have been wishful thinking.

Good luck

Simon Forster