[X4U] Re: X4U choosing a browser for eudora

Joel M. Rath joelrath at mac.com
Wed Dec 15 04:35:53 PST 2004

At 4:40 PM -0800 12/13/04, bofus? <bofus at mindspring.com> wrote:
>hi,
>
>	anyone here use eudora and know how to switch browsers when
>you click a url in an email? right now mine goes to safari and I want
>to switch it to firefox.
>
>	thanks in advance!

Hold down the Option key, and double-click on an active URL link in a
message. You'll see a dialog box that asks you to select an
application to do http (or whatever type of URL you are clicking).
Browse through your hard drive to find your favorite web browser and
double-click its application. Eudora will remember thereafter to use
that web browser to open URL's. If, in the future, you want to change
the web browser, just option-double-click on an active URL to get the
dialog box again.

  With Eudora 6.0 on Mac OS 10.1 - 10.2.8, Eudora uses OS default
browser (Set in the System Preferences) by default and that the
option-click a URL method now only works if you have the following
setting set (to 'y'):

<x-eudora-setting:360> When checked, Eudora will use its own URL
helper lists instead of the system ones (OS X only).

If you are running Panther (10.3) you can set the default browser by
launching Safari. Then go to Preferences->General->Default Web
Browser and choose what you wish to use as the Default browser for
10.3.

To summarize:

  In Eudora you actually have BOTH options. You can either have Eudora
use the OS defaults (which is the default Eudora behavior now) or you
can have Eudora maintain its own list. To set Eudora to maintain its
own list, use:

  <x-eudora-setting:360> When checked, Eudora will use its own url
helper lists instead of the system ones (OS X only).

  Set this setting to 'y' and then use the option-command-click a URL
to set the helper application for that type of URL.
Option-command-clicking a URL when that setting is NOT set will do
nothing.

--
Joel M. Rath	http://www.rathconsulting.biz	Rath Consulting
	Phone: 517-423-2472