[X4U] connecting to a windows file share?

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Wed Dec 15 09:20:04 PST 2004

>> >2003 servers are indeed accessible from OS X. What is NOT accessible from OS
>> X are win 2003 DFS volumes. OS X cannot resolve where DFS volumes are
>> pointing. You need to >get on a PC and see what the volume reference is and
>> connect directly to that.

I tried connecting every which way before we got Admit Mac and nothing
worked including trying to connect directly to a share. I went through the
network browser on the PCs and got as much info as I could. Before we
upgraded to Win 2003 when we had Win 2001 I could connect just fine.
Everything outwardly looks the same on the PC with Win 2003 as Win 2001 but
under the hood things are different. After much research I was eventually
told that without lowering Win 2003 security thresholds the Macs could not
connect. And that has been exactly my experience. Admit Mac fills in the
Windows networking gaps in OSX. It works great I¹m happy to have it.

> Richard, et all;
>     This is the third time I've tried to reply to this post.  My previous two
> tries have not shown up in  the archives as yet, so I'm trying again.
>     They're trying to access a windows 2000 server serving multible
> directories.  I think I just need to get the correct SMB syntax to include the
> username and password in the url call; should it be in the form of
> "smb://Serverename/Directoryname:username:password" ?
>
> Russell

As for accessing a Win 2000 share under the GO menu try: <smb://server
name/share name$> the dollar sign is important it¹s to indicate a non
broadcast share name it depends how your network is set up whether the admin
broadcasts all the available shares and volumes or not. If they¹re security
minded they won¹t. You may not see your share (folder) when you try to
browse your through workgroup when you click the Network icon in the finder.
But it will be there, the dollar sign tells it to look through all the
hidden share names when you try to access. After that you should get a
dialog box that will ask for the share name again a domain name and a
password. (At that point you don¹t need the dollar sign again.) If you¹re
shares aren¹t hidden you shouldn¹t need the dollar sign. That¹s how we
connect to our network. It also might be case sensitive also so be careful
of caps with passwords, domains etc...If you do successfully connect once
drag the icon to the dock it will make an alias there that will
automatically connect to the share again without going through the GO menu
again. It should remember the user name and password in the keychain.

That's how I do it here YMMV

Cheers