[X4U] New drive in Pismo

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Mon Dec 20 04:55:44 PST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:

> I am going to put in a new HD in a Pismo I bought, chose the 80 gig
> 7200 by  Hitachi
>
> I have a full install of Panther ready to go. I remember vaguely a
> firmware upgrade that was required on many computers, might have been
> in the Jag days, seeing this is bare drive, will Jag have the firmware
> upgrade in it or do I have to go to another computer down load the
> firmware burn it and install it before I put the new Panther on and
> start the fun of getting all the downloads.

Firmware generally isn't stored on your hard drive, but on non-volitle
memory on the motherboard. If you download the firmware updater from
apple, install it, pop new the drive in, you should still have the latest
frimware.

> Which leads to another question I am probably going to hate the answer,
> but will the latest 10.3.6  now a week later .7  bring the machine up
> to date ?  Or, do I have to have go to the beginning, the stone age and
> get all the wonderful upgrades. Will Software Update be reliable for
> everything I would need on the OS or better to research and do it as a
> flowchart of upgrades?

Some may disagree, but I think software update is the way to go.  Sofware
Update should give you a version of the 10.3.7 update with all previous
security and OS updates included, the other application updates (itunes,
imovie, etc.) should also need only one update.

Just a hint, don't run off after telling software update to do its thing.
Some updates, like quicktime, will very annoyingly stop and ask for some
info before continuing, stopping the whole process.

Allan