[X4U] Skype

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Mon Dec 27 07:48:06 PST 2004

On Dec 25, 2004, at 3:04 AM, invicta wrote:

> Hello All ,
>
> Has anybody had any experience with Skype and using both versions ?
>
> Merry Christmas !
>
> Andre..

I have found Skype to be useful for talking with Windows users, Skype
to Skype. iChat does the trick for the MacOS folks, of course. We have
found the sound quality to be excellent except when there is another
application using the internet bandwidth for a machine. Ditto for the
Skype to the plain old telephone system.

One client declined to use it for fear of malicious activity such as
harvesting sensitive data. I haven't detected any such problems yet but
as I consider the client to be technically savvy I am being more
vigilant. Recently, Skype bundled its software with Kazaa. Many people
are concerned about this and not without good cause. Kazaa is a known
and unrepentant promoter of spy-ware.

We are investigating other voip solutions but continue to use Skype
until we satisfy ourselves that it is safe or not.

Mark Phillips
Mophilly & Associates
On the web at http://www.mophilly.com
On the phone at 619 444-9210