[X4U] Wireless Router Suggestion

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Dec 28 23:52:13 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 09:40:29PM -0500, David R.Boag wrote:
:
: OK folks. My wireless router just died. I have dealt with being unable
: to print locally long enough.
:
: I have a G4 tower w/o an Airport card installed that is wired. I have a
: Dell Laptop that I had connected wirelessly to the network via 802.11b.
: I also have an HP LaserJet 1220 with a JetDirect print server wired in.
:
: I really have no need for an Airport base station, and I need more
: ports than the Airport Express has. So I'm going 3rd party. Anyone have
: a good suggestion? D-Link? Linksys? Netgear?

I prefer Netgear over both Linksys and D-Link.  Look for a more recent
product that supports WPA (even though it's been cracked, it's still
more secure than WEP).

: I'd prefer being able to set it up using my Mac, but it's not
: ABSOLUTELY essential if the hardware and or service are better with one
: that can only be established initially with a PC.

Today's home routers provide a web-based interface to configure it.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/