[X4U] Wireless Router Suggestion

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Dec 29 15:31:22 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 11:12:45AM -0800, SeaSoft Systems wrote:
:
: >From: Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net>
: >
: >On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 09:40:29PM -0500, David R.Boag wrote:
: >:
: >: OK folks. My wireless router just died. I have dealt with being unable
: >: to print locally long enough.
: >:
: >: I have a G4 tower w/o an Airport card installed that is wired. I have a
: >: Dell Laptop that I had connected wirelessly to the network via 802.11b.
: >: I also have an HP LaserJet 1220 with a JetDirect print server wired in.
: >:
: >: I really have no need for an Airport base station, and I need more
: >: ports than the Airport Express has. So I'm going 3rd party. Anyone have
: >: a good suggestion? D-Link? Linksys? Netgear?
: >
: >I prefer Netgear over both Linksys and D-Link.  Look for a more recent
: >product that supports WPA (even though it's been cracked, it's still
: >more secure than WEP).
:
: Eugene: Would you mind mentioning your top few reasons for preferring
: Netgear? Just curious...

Linksys has a tendency to put out a product that's initially very buggy
and requires several months of firmware revisions before it behaves like
a stable product.  Netgear, in my experience and in my reading of other
people's experiences, seems to work more reliably out of the box and has
less problems.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/