[X4U] Wireless Router Suggestion

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 30 09:07:10 PST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 7:12 pm, SeaSoft Systems wrote:

> One thing I discovered about the Linksys: They use open-source
> firmware and there are  third-party vendors who offer "improved"
> functionality; I haven't explored this much, but it looks kind of
> interesting. Google for "Linksys WRT54G firmware updates" to learn
> more. I think these third-party products can be applied without a
> windows box, although the Linksys factory firmware updates probably
> require a windows box. (Not absolutely sure about this however...)

The ability to upload your own version of Linux to the Linksys hardware
is very cool, but probably not much use unless there's some feature you
particularly want, or you're an enthusiast. The great thing about the
3rd-party firmware is that it's even free - you have to buy it if you
get it from www.sveasoft.com, but if your friend has bought it a
subscription he can redistribute to you under the GPL.

Not all Linksys hardware allow 3rd party firmware (their ADSL
modem-routers don't run Linux) but those that do can undoubtedly be
upgraded without a Windows PC - these routers are popular with the sort
of hard-core Lunix geeks who just love playing with things, and those
who wouldn't dream of having Microsoft software in the house.

Stroller.