[X4U] Wireless Router Suggestions

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Dec 30 08:46:40 PST 2004

I've installed a lot of Netgears in the last 6 months, having been
recommended the brand by the Mac-consultant who has the franchise in
the adjacent area to me. Initially I ignored his advice because my
favourite supplier did only D-Link, but what a mistake that was! The
interface on the D-Link was horrendous, and I had to upgrade the
firmware to make it compatible with AOL's ADSL, which is common around
here.

I've had very very few problems with the Netgears, and my customers
would let me know if they'd had any! I've had one that was duff out of
the box, and went back to the supplier the same day, but otherwise the
only problem is that sometimes they "hang" and need to be power-cycled;
I sometimes get a phonecall about this about a month after
installation. I can now get them up & running in just a few minutes (I
connect my laptop by RJ45 cable for the initial configuration, set the
ADSL username & password and wireless settings, then I can copy & paste
the WEP key into the laptop's "Connect to Airport network" dialogue
box) and my customers are frequently impressed by how quickly I can
demonstrate that I have wireless internet working.

I really like the web interface on the Netgears - it's simple to use
and intuitive, much much better than the D-Link one. On their ADSL
router units they have a "setup wizard" which will have the Internet
side of things up in about 90 seconds, and cabled clients need no more
configuration than that. They also support, I think, dynamic DNS
services like DynDNS.org, informing servers when your IP address
changes, and have "firewall" and other nice features.

This is not a criticism of Sylvester's post, just a counterpoint of my
experiences,

Stroller.