[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

James Rice bebugs at vzavenue.net
Mon Jul 5 14:55:47 PDT 2004

I have my home network setup as mostly static with a small range
reserved for DHCP assignments so my Netgear router can assign an address
to my tablet pc or my notebook from work.

You set up your router for example as 192.168.0.1.  This becomes your
gateway address for all machines on the network.  I define the range of
192.168.0.201-232 as the DHCP assignment for temporary notebook
assignment.  You then set up an manual address without DHCP enabled  on
your workstations in the range of 192.168.0.2-200 with a netmask of
255.255.255.0.  I tend to reserve 192.168.0.233-254 for IP based
printers, access points, and other IP based equipment.

 The reason I use static at home is I support Winblows boxes, older
Macs, newer Macs, Sun workstations, Sgi workstations, a BeBox and
several NeXT workstations.  I even have a couple od DOS system with
TCP/IP loaded that are connected to the internet.  DHCP is not available
or has serious issues on some of these systems as well as I like to have
everything neatly assigned so I know it's address.

You need to disable DHCP on the workstations and enter the address
manually, and also enter the routers LAN address and the addresses pf
the DNS servers provided by your ISP.  The router will still have it's
WAN address assigned automatically.  On the Windows 2K box, just go into
the connection properties and select "Use this Address" in TCP/IP
properties and  enter the address.  The netmask will calculate
automatically and then manually enter the gateway and DNS addresses.
You probably won't even have to reboot but IE will have to redetect
proxy settings the first time you browse.  I don't have my 10.2.8
machine up at the moment but it was set up static as well.  Someone else
can step you through that one.  If you have any classic systems just set
up the address in the TCP/IP control panel as well as the same addresses
for the gateway and DNS servers.

James

http://www.vzavenue.net/~jrice54/classiccomp2.html