[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 5 17:24:34 PDT 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 10:20 pm, revDAVE wrote:

> * I went to: preferences>network> built-in Ethernet ... Then  configure
> using DHCP with manual address??? -  I tried putting in a manual
> address but
> it did not work ...?

How did it "not work"..? This is the correct way to do as you request.
Please post the output of `ifconfig` from your Mac when networking is
configured both as "DHCP" and as "DHCP with manual address".

> Q: Also -  I have one computer with Windows 2000 ... How do this one
> up with
> a static IP with the router?

Open a DOS prompt (from Start > Programs > Accessories, I think) & type
`ipconfig`

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network & Dial-up Connections
Right-click appropriate network interface & choose "Properties".
Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" & click the "Properties" button.
Click the "Use the following IP address" radio button & enter suitable
settings, such as those given by the output of ipconfig above.

You will need to give the IP of a DNS server, for which the LAN IP of
your router will probably do. If that doesn't work, ask your ISP for
the IPs of their DNS servers.

Stroller.