[X4U] Journaling...

Kansas Territory kansast at mac.com
Tue Jul 6 00:22:24 PDT 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 1:29 AM, drunk wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:39:54 -0700, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>> There don't seem to be any downsides to journaling.  Any speed hit is
>> barely noticeable in Panther.
>
> You shouldn't really notice much for 'general' usage, which is now
> usually termed web, email, etc. But for more disk intensive things a
> large difference will crop up: audio, video, etc. and it can be
> problematic. I wouldn't worry about it as far as iPhoto unless you're
> dealing with really large images, but iMovie will feel it.

don't know if it matters much.. I kept Journaling on when it became
available..
it was turned on by default I think.. on my start up drive.

When doing more disk intensive activities..  like photoshop or audio
recording..   I use other hard drives for that. for Photoshop's scratch
disk and the drive that I'm recording too don't have journaling
enabled.

The one benefit I've seen from having journaling turned on.. is after a
power outage... my startup times seem normal.. instead of being very
long and very scary few minutes.. hoping my drive would recover from
the sudden shut down :-)

Kansas