[X4U] Adobe CS RAM Requirements

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 6 22:28:06 PDT 2004

>I have a G5 dual with 2 GB RAM and right now I have running: Dreamweaver MX
>2004, ecto, InDesign CS, iTunes, Art Director's Toolkit 4, Preview, Font
>Agent Pro, Web Confidential, Timbuktu Pro (but not connected to anything at
>the moment), Illustrator CS, Safari, LaunchBar, Photoshop CS & Transmit. I
>am not seeing any memory issues, but I guess it depends on what you're doing
>in the applications.
>
>You may try giving Photoshop a larger portion of the memory pie if you're
>finding that's where the drag is. VersionCue is also on the slow side.

While I know I really could use some more RAM, I don't think that was
my real problem.  Part of it turns out to be a zombie 'tcsh' process
that was trying to take up about 1GB RAM, plus I think the system
just plain need rebooted.  I decided to do so cleanup to free up a
little disk space, and then run DiskWarrior.  After rebooting, the
system seems much happier so far with MS Word/X, Photoshop CS,
Illustrator CS, InDesign CS, Eudora 6, and Safari running.

Right now the top pig in memory is Illustrator, which isn't to
surprising as it has by far the most complex document open.  I just
had my wife log in and start up her main apps, and that barely puts a
load on the system.  I really think that the OS has a slow memory
leak in there somewhere, as well as some of the apps.

		Zane