Journeling (long)

Al Jones austexal at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 7 21:01:11 PDT 2004

On the flip side of ³Randy¹s Coin², I HAVE a crash at least once a day and
sometimes more, crash being defined as total system lock up requiring forced
shutdown (but not getting the infamous multi-language dialog box). I restart
into terminal and fsck ­yf which always comes up with orphaned indirect node
and seven numbers, under multilinked files. there may be 1,2, or 3 indirect
nodes listed.  Have done everything I can think of to correct this problem
including disk repair from SW CD, disk warrior, tech tool pro, hardware
test, permission repair, Apple tech support was no help either by telephone.
I think I know Randy¹s ³fix it ³ pages by heart. Running a new (in January)
MDD Dual boot 1.25 GHz G4 with 1.25MB RAM, OS 10.3.4, factory installed 60GB
HD plus another internal hard drive set as slave, a 60GB F/W external drive
and a 120GB F/W external drive both connected but not on. These lock-ups are
totally spontaneous and may occur regardless of what I am doing. The only
clue I have is that when the 2 F/W drives are connected to the 2 F/W ports,
the Mac does not see the 120, but it shows up fine on my lap top and I can
even boot up the laptop with it. The 60GB shows up fine, I have switched
ports, cables, etc to no avail. On the other hand when I daisy chain the two
drives with the 60 in the middle and the 120 at the end they both show-up
fine. This is the second 120 drive having returned the first one for this
same reason. This is a Neptune drive from OWC. Their tech support cannot
figure out what is going on either, except that they had a customer with the
same set-up as I have, seeing the same problem. Apple after considerable
testing determined that he had a bad logic board, replaced the board and
everything work as advertised. After all of the above information, is it
conceivable that my logic board is also causing the lock-ups and occasional
bad address crashes. I have found OS 10 on this machine to be the most
unstable OS I have ever used and I go back to 6.5 or so.

Thanks for listening

Al Jones