[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Jul 9 06:45:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:03:01PM -0700, Allan Hise wrote:
: On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Eugene Lee wrote:
: >
: > How can you sure that your network settings are not getting their DNS
: > settings from the DHCP server?  That doesn't make sense if your Internet
: > connections in those other places still work as expected.
:
: The network connection does not work (more specifically there is no name
: resolution)

FYI, these are two different problems.  The first implies the second,
but the second does not imply the first.  If name resolution is broke
yet you can ping an external IP address, that proves that it's not a
network connection problem.

: until I manually insert a DNS server into the network control
: panel. The DNS server section of the control panel is empty after DHCP,
: where the other info gets filled in (IP address, etc.)

I do DHCP at home all the time, my DNS Servers field always come up
blank, yet DNS works for me just fine.  When OS X connects via DHCP,
it automatically populates /etc/resolv.conf with the DNS settings
provided by your DHCP server.  Apparently, these settings are not
displayed in the Network system preferences.  Now if /etc/resolv.conf
comes up blank, then there's something broke with your DHCP server.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/