[X4U] Microsoft Applications NEVER cause OS X system crashes--you?? (Modified by John McDaniel)

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Fri Jul 9 12:52:21 PDT 2004

On Jul 9, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Phillip Zannini • wrote:

> <snip> On the other hand - my wife's G3 Dual USB iBook (which I've got
> maxed out as
> well)  hasn't stopped crashing since 10.3.  It crashes running Safari,
> Mail,
> IE, kids games - you name it.
>
> I don't know what the problem is.  It seems recent.  It crashes all the
> time.  I've run every utility I have on it.  Don't know if it is
> related to
> the logic board - we've only had one time (and only at startup) where
> the
> screen has been doing the flickering thing.
>
> To be honest - it has been crashing as bad as running a PC with Win 98
> - 1st
> Edition!
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Best,
> Phillip

Phillip: if you've you added RAM to you wife's iBook, I'd try pulling
the extra Ram and see if that might be causing the problems. OS 10 can
be quite finicky about Ram, as I found out when I purchased some extra
Ram for an iMac at Circuit City; the machine started crashing regularly
until I replaced it with some Ram from Small Dog.

The other thing to try (as others have suggested, is to reinstall the
latest Combo upgrade for the System and then Repair Permissions.
Sometimes that can resolve problems.

My wife has a iBook and it is very solid with 10.3 and maxed out Ram.

Jeff
J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-267-3890; cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, Perth, ON K7H 3C3              Fax: 613-267-6727
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for 25 years