[X4U] Home Networking Questions ( Static IP verses DHCP)

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 9 22:38:58 PDT 2004

On 7/9/04 7:20 PM, revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:

> On 7/8/04 5:19 PM, "Eddie Hargreaves" <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> The AFP connection protocol is afp://username:password@IP.ADD.RES.S and I
>> believe the SMB connection protocol is smb://Server/Share
>
> thank-you - this worked well for my Macintosh.  The only problem is that
> now, after storing this setting under favorite servers, the password is
> visible to others.  Is there any way to not visibly store the password in
> this setting?

Using afp://username@IP.ADD.RES.S or afp://username@Computer-Name.local will
accomplish the same thing, just that you'll be prompted to enter a password.

Here's another way around the showing of passwords. Type
afp://username:password@Computer-Name.local into TextEdit. Drag and drop the
text onto your desktop. Rename the AFP location file that it created and
drag it to your Finder's sidebar or toolbar (or Dock) and you can just click
on it to immediately mount the server without any username/password
prompting.

And rather than creating the AFP location file from scratch, you can just
move or copy the file out of your ~/Library/Favorites folder.

Eddie Hargreaves