[X4U] Microsoft Applications NEVER cause OS X system crashes--you?? (Modified by John McDaniel)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Jul 9 23:37:04 PDT 2004

On 07/09/04, Phillip Zannini <phillip at globalsync.net> wrote:

> On the other hand - my wife's G3 Dual USB iBook (which I've got maxed out as
> well)  hasn't stopped crashing since 10.3.  It crashes running Safari, Mail,
> IE, kids games - you name it.
>
> I don't know what the problem is.  It seems recent.  It crashes all the
> time.  I've run every utility I have on it.  Don't know if it is related to
> the logic board - we've only had one time (and only at startup) where the
> screen has been doing the flickering thing.
>
> To be honest - it has been crashing as bad as running a PC with Win 98 - 1st
> Edition!
>
> Any thoughts?

I'd run the Apple Hardware Test program that came on her install disks,
especially the extended RAM tests. Then, if it passes those, I'd create
another admin account, log into it and see if the crashes stop. Finally, if
the other user doesn't stop it, then reinstall OS X, using Archive &
Install, saving network settings, repair permissions, update via Software
Update, and, when there are no more,
repair permissions again.