[X4U] Making a Wintel box pretend to be a Mac...?

Ryan Duff ryan at duff-duff.net
Mon Jul 12 18:04:45 PDT 2004

Found on annoyances.org
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1018043899

[quote]

The following works in XP, should work in win2k as well:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout];
"Scancode
Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,05,00,00,00,1D,00,38,00,38,00,1D,00,1D,E0,3
8,E0,38,E0,1D,E0,00,00,00,00

Copy this to a text file and save it as "swapkeys.reg".
Doubleclick to open it and confirm that you want to
insert the contents in your registry.
Reboot, and your Ctrl and Alt keys will be swapped.

The idea is to create a "Scancode Map" key in
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout".
This should contain a series of hex codes on which keys to exchange
(boy, do I ever miss the key remap program in the Win95 kernel toys.
Or even Xmodmap under Unix!).

Details of how this works can be found at

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,65157,pg,3,00.asp

and

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/input/w2kscan-map.asp

The above article notes the shortcomings of this method:
it applies to all users and all keyboards and requires rebooting.
I'd appreciate information on a more elegant freeware or shareware solution.

A caveat with regard to the above registry hack: it swaps Ctrl and Alt,
but the distinction between right and left Ctrl and Alt is lost
(specifically, the lefthand Ctrl and Alt are recognized as
the righthand Crlt and Alt).
Usually no problem except perhaps for some games.
Suggestions are of course welcome.

Hope this helps,
John Hendrickx
(formerly Mad Mackx)

[/quote]

Good luck and always remember to back up your registry before working on it.
Ryan Duff