[SUMMARY] iTrip usage in the DFW metroplex area (long)

mac2 mac2 at oryx.cc
Wed Jul 28 21:27:33 PDT 2004

Hello,

This is a summary of my experiences with my iTrip FM radio transmitter.  Thanks
to everyone who responded to me. My original question to the list is at the
bottom of this email.  A special thanks to Kevin Mantooth who replied to me
multiple times and also pointed me to the forums at:

http://www.ipodlounge.com

where I discovered I was not alone with my iTrip problems.  Why occasionally it
would work OK, the transmitter could not be any further than a foot away from my
car radio.  I had one suggestion to remove the antenna from my car.  That was
not an acceptable solution.  I also spoke with a sales rep from my local Apple
store at the Willow Bend mall and discussed my problem.  Normally I get great
service and support from the Apple store.  In this case, the sales rep just
looked at me like I was an idiot and all but called me a liar.

Anyway, after much Internet searching, I came across this link:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/diy-itrip-amplifier-016317.php

which describes the building an amplifier for my iTrip.  As I have an high end
head unit (factory) in my car that I had no intentions of swapping it out, this
appeared to be my only solution.  The first step was to open up my iTrip.  As I
had no idea what type of circuitry was inside, I (very carefully) used a file to
open it up.  There is just 1 flat circuit board inside.  If I had to open
another one, I would go after it with a Dremel tool.  I filed through the top
and the bottom welded seams.  The plastic case is ~2 mm thick.

To get to the punchline, I did NOT end up building the amplifier.  In my case, I
discovered that the transmitter antenna, which is a piece of copper cable
roughly 4 cm long, was fully bent over and was touching/shorting out on the
internal circuit board, which in turn, was causing my problems.

After opening the case on the iTrip and discovering the short, I have bent the
transmitter antenna in 2 positions.  First, straight up.  In this position I can
now put my iPod any where in my vehicle, and it works great.  No static, no
bleed over.  I can take over just about any station.  Second, is bending the
antenna transmitter over, into the top seam where I opened the iTrip.  In this
position, characteristics are similar to having the transmitter antenna straight
up, but during dead/silent time between songs, I have static.

Its great to now have my iPod work in all my vehicles, and now, quality wise, my
iTrip works approximately as well as any incoming FM radio station.  And it
didn't cost me any additional money.  Also, I believe that I am still legal.  I
don't believe that it would have been legal to use the amplifier, as shown in
the url above.

The only downside is that I have somewhat ruined the aesthetics of my iTrip.
And I now have a concern that If I keep moving the iTrip transmitter antenna
(copper wire) around, that I will break it off.

I hope this summary can help someone else.  In addition to input from list
members, I spent a lot of time searching the Internet, as there was not very
much RTFM'ing that I could do from Griffin's web site, or the documentation that
shipped with the iTrip.

Thank to everyone who replied to me, both online and off,

Jerry K

Also, if there is any interest, I can put together a short web page documenting
  my experiences with pictures of my iTrip's innards.